Based in Seattle, WA
August 16, 2016
The playfield looks simple at first glance, but once the action begins, complexity unfolds at a rapid pace. INVERSUS is a negative-space shooter for one to four friends. Player movement is constrained to opposite colors of a black and white grid. My walls are your paths and your walls are my paths. Each shot flips tile colors in an attempt to block, trap and close in on the enemy. Firing a bullet opens up a path for you while also closing off a path for me. Both online and local couch play are supported. The competitive versus mode pits players against each other in 1v1 or 2v2 battles. The single-player and cooperative two-player modes pit players against endless waves of enemies as they fight for high scores on an ever-changing board.
INVERSUS was conceived as a potential game jam project during the summer of 2013. The goal was to create a unique board through the deterministic chaos of each player's actions. Nothing is random, but the complexity of human action and reaction evolves the simple starting state into a unique puzzle every time the game is played. Though the game jam ended up taking a different direction, the concept remained strong and was prototyped later that year. The prototype was a success and the development started immediately with a strong focus on creating a minimalist design and aesthetic. Every mechanic is exposed directly to the player with minimal interference creating an experience that looks simple enough to welcome you, but contains enough intrinsic complexity and depth to hold you.
- Online and local multiplayer
- Competitive battles in 1v1 and 2v2 modes
- Fight for the world record in single-player and cooperative multiplayer arcade modes
- Twenty-seven versus maps encouraging varied playstyles and strategies
- Seven arcade maps with distinct challenges to master
- Over 60 unlockable color palettes
- Over 250 unlockable emotes
- Lobby system that allows local play while searching for online matches
- Mind-bending levels in ever looping worlds
- A constantly changing board makes every game a fresh experience
- Rewarding for both strategy and skill as you balance spatial control with quick reflexes
Launch Trailer YouTube
Color Trailer YouTube
INVERSUS 1.5 Announce Trailer YouTube
B-Roll: Versus Mode YouTube
B-Roll: Arcade Mode YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "PAX 10" Seattle, 2016
- "BIG Festival Innovation Award Winner" São Paulo, 2016
- "IndieCade at E3 Showcase" Los Angeles, 2016
- "MomoCon Indie Game Award Winner" Atlanta, 2016
- "SXSW Gamer's Voice Award Nominee" Austin, 2016
- "The Best of MIX at GDC Runner Up" San Francisco, 2016
- "Indie Arcade: Coast to Coast Official Selection" Washington, D.C., 2016
- "Bit Bash Official Selection" Chicago, 2015
- "Boston FIG Official Selection" Boston, 2015
- "The idea is so simple, but the strategic possibilities are near endless."
- Chris Carter, destructoid.com
- "An incredibly fun and addictive experience"
- Sven Boonen, twinfinite.net
- "Inversus is the most fun I've had shooting other players in ages"
- Mike Fahey, kotaku.com
- "Inversus just feels good"
- Jeffrey Matulef, eurogamer.net
- "It’s ridiculously fun."
- Mike Fahey, kotaku.com
- "I never looked at the time, and felt obligated to pass the controller off – I didn’t want to stop."
- Zachery Bennett, entertainmentbuddha.com
- "Inversus is exciting, energetic and endlessly replayable."
- Anna Washenko, mashable.com
- "It's chaos, but it's incredibly fun chaos."
- Mick Joest, gametyrant.com
- "I got the same feeling I did as the first time I tried out TowerFall - satisfaction from easily grasping the basics, coupled with an urge to use them in new and unexpected ways."
- Connor Sheridan, gamesradar.com
- "Inversus is one of those games you play for less than 30 seconds before you’re totally sold and mumble something like “oh shit, that’s cool” and feel slightly ashamed about your own contributions to the world."
- Wes Fenlon, pcgamer.com
- "Behind the monochromatic minimalist facade of Inversus lies a complex, fast-paced and quick-witted strategy game."
- Joe Donnelly, rockpapershotgun.com
- "It might look simple, but with a two-and-a-half millenia old foundation, it is quite a bit deeper than it appears."
- Joshua Vanderwall, escapistmagazine.com
- "We’d never seen anything quite like that."
- Sam Machkovech, arstechnica.com
- "“Inversus” is a lovely example of minimalism in both its art style and gameplay."
- Draken DuBose, blastmagazine.com
- "Upon first seeing [INVERSUS] I said to myself “wow, there is nothing else like this”"
- Marcus Terrell, designoriented.net
INVERSUS Original Soundtrack
Official sound track for the game lyvomusic.bandcamp.com.
INVERSUS on Twitter
Official account for the game on twitter.com.
INVERSUS on Facebook
Official page for the game on facebook.com.
INVERSUS on YouTube
Official channel for the game on youtube.com.
INVERSUS on Twitch
Official channel for the game on twitch.tv.
Hypersect is the single member game studio run by Ryan Juckett, designer, programmer and artist.
More information on Hypersect, our logo & relevant media are available here.